Thursday, August 6, 2015

Singapore 2015, Day 4

Our fourth day in Singapore also happened to be H's birthday! She is a big Peanuts fan, so we decided to celebrate at Charlie Brown Cafe at Cathay Cineleisure in Orchard Road.




From Charlie Brown Cafe, we decided to visit Haji Lane upon the suggestion (persuasion) of a friend who was based in Singapore. With our bags in tow, we took the train and walked to the Kampong Glam neighborhood where Haji Lane was situated.

Haji Lane has a Cubao X/hipster vibe. It is a street lined with shophouses turned into boutiques that sell clothes, trinkets, accessories, etc. There are also cafes and bars that draw big crowds especially at night.







Four days in Singapore were definitely not enough! We didn't have time to visit Gardens by the Bay, MacRitchie Reservoir Park, Chinatown, Little India, Joo Chiat, etc. I swear to come back to Singapore soon.

Final thought: As we were touring Singapore, I felt a tinge of envy at the level of discipline and efficiency that the country has, and I wondered if I would ever see my own country achieve that level of progress during my lifetime. I love my country, I really do, but after just four days in Singapore, I couldn't help but feel frustrated that the Philippines remains stricken with poverty compounded by systemic corruption and apathy or cynicism from its own citizens. Can we ever be like Singapore? Where should we start?

25-28 April 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment